If you’re frustrated by the lack of action, or speed to which governments are working to reduce CO2 levels in the atmosphere, please keep reading!
Every little bit helps, so what you do in your daily life does contribute to the reduction of carbon dioxide and hopefully slows down global climate change.
— Animal Equality UK (@animal_equality) August 1, 2018
1. Don’t eat as much meat
Meat and dairy is responsible for 14.5 percent of man made global greenhouse gas emissions, mainly from feed production and processing and the methane that beef and sheep belch out
— someveganfacts (@someveganfacts) April 21, 2016
Do start eating more fruits and vegetables, preferably locally grown so less carbon is burned getting it to a store near you.
2. Don’t buy fast fashion
Trendy, cheap items that go out of style quickly get dumped in landfills where they produce methane as they decompose. Also, most fast fashion comes from China and Bangladesh, so shipping it to the U.S. requires the use of fossil fuels.
Do buy quality clothing that will last, or pick up your threads at the nearest thrift shop, for less and end up looking like a cool hipster!
3. Don’t use incandescent light bulbs
These bulbs work when electrical energy passes through a filament, which becomes hot, producing light. This process generates more heat than light, and a great deal of electrical energy is wasted.
Only 10% of the energy used by incandescent bulbs is converted to light, the other 90 percent is lost as heat. If you still have an incandescent bulbs at your home, ‘drop it likes it’s hot’ and switch to LED bulbs! This will benefit your electric bill and the environment. pic.twitter.com/y5tMBKg2Xv
— Liberty Utilities (@LibertyUtil_CA) April 5, 2019
Do use LED bulbs instead. They use a quarter of the energy and last up to 25 times longer.
4. Don’t drive as much
An average car produces about five tons of CO2 each year (although this varies according to the type of car, its fuel efficiency and how it’s driven). Making changes in how you get around can significantly cut your carbon budget.
Do walk, bike or take more public transportation. Who knows, it may help you get in shape, lose weight, and allow you to cancel that gym membership!
5. Don’t let the government get off easy
Let your members of parliament or city representative know you want them to take action to phase out fossil fuel use and decarbonize the country as fast as possible.
The United Nations released a report forecasting climate consequences in the future. “The normal way to look at the situation may be with a profoundly defeatist feeling, but everyday people can make a difference by becoming more politically active.”https://t.co/y5ZuVCxotA pic.twitter.com/VxNxJ5SKyC
— The DePaulia (@TheDePaulia) October 24, 2018
Do vote for those eager and willing to do what needs to be done when it comes to saving the planet!
© 2019 Corus Radio, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.